By Deepak Pachauri
Last updated: 27 June 2021
About the Recipe
Also called Sooji Appe or Rava Paniyaram, Rava Appe are a round fritter like dish, where the batter is made with Rava. The Rava batter is tempered with a few spices, that add to its taste and also gives a crunch or bite to the soft Appe.
It also has the goodness of vegetables. The appe are crispy from the outside and soft from inside.
You will need a Paniyaram Pan or Appe Moulds to make this dish. Invest in a good pan and I am sure you will not regret it.
You just need 30 minutes of your busy weekday morning to make this healthy and filling breakfast.
Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 15 Mins Total Time: 30 Mins
Course: Breakfast Cuisine: South Indian Servings: 10 pieces
The best part of these Instant Rava Appe recipe is that even after they have cooled down they remain soft and thus a perfect dish for lunch boxes or tiffin boxes.
Ingredients for Instant Rava Appe / Appam recipe
suji / rava / semolina: 1/2 cup
Dhai/ Curd: 2 tbsp
Capsicum, onions, carrots, green beans and dhania: 1 tbsp each
Green chilli: 1
Eno/ fruit salt: 1/2 sachet
Curry leaves / kadhi patta: 3-4
Mustard seeds /rai : 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder / kali mirch: 1/8 tsp
Salt: as per your taste
oil: 1-2 tbsp
Prepping for the Instant Rava Appe recipe, Appam recipe
Dice up the vegetables keep them aside in a bowl.
Method for making the Instant Rava Appe recipe, Appam recipe
- So in a large mixing bowl add the Rava which is suji along with the curd,
2. followed by diced up carrots, capsicum, green chillies, then the green beans, onions, fresh dhania which is cilantro, pepper powder which is kali mirch, some salt and mixes it all in.
3. then add little water say about ¼ cup and mix it well it should be a nice thick batter but still at pouring consistency
4. and now cover it up and keep it aside for the next 10-15 minutes.
5.After 15 minutes the batter must have soaked all the water and should still be at pouring consistency. Let’s keep it aside
(if the batter is thick then add some more water)
Now it’s time to work on the tadka.
6. So in a tempering vessel add 1 tsp of oil and once hot, add the rai which is mustard seeds and once they start to sizzle add the torn curry leaves which are kadi Patta
7. and add it to rava and mix it well.
8. Now add half a packet of Eno and mix it vigorously.
9. Now the batter is ready so it’s time to cook it
10. So take the appe / appam pan which is easily available in the market and grease it with oil and once it’s hot take about 1 ½ tsp of this batter and pour it in each of the cavities.
11. then garnish with some finely diced up carrots and some green beans.
12. Once all the appe or appams are garnished then cover the lid and cook on low flame for the next 3-4 minutes or until the bottom side is golden brown.
13. After 3-4 minutes flip the appes and cook for the next 2-3 minutes.
14. After 2-3 minutes the appes or appams should be ready to remove them out in a plate and they are ready to serve.
Do serve them while they are hot with some Coriander chutney or tomato sauce.