By Deepak Pachauri
Last Updated: 4 July 2021
About Bread Poha
Bread poha is a quick, easy and tasty poha variation made with bread cubes, onions, tomatoes, spices and herbs. This savoury bread poha comes together in 30 minutes and makes for a quick breakfast, brunch or evening snack.
I should have shared this recipe earlier since this recipe is one of our favourite snack recipes made with bread.
I have been making this recipe for years now. It is a much-loved breakfast or snack at my home. Quick to make when you are short of time.
You can use any bread – Whole wheat bread, multi-grain, Brown Bread or White Bread. But make sure that the bread that you use is soft, so that it soaks up the flavours of the spices and herbs. This makes it very flavorful.
You can use fresh bread slices or even a few days old breads to make this dish. If using fresh bread slices, then no need to slice the edges. For a few days old breads, if the edges have become dense, then slice them.
How to make Bread Upma
1. Chop the bread slices into cubes. Keep aside. Here, I have used brown bread slices.
You can use any kind of soft bread. For health reasons, it is best to use whole wheat bread or multi-grain bread or ragi bread.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan. You can use neutral-flavoured oil like sunflower oil or avocado oil. You can also use peanut oil.
Add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle and pop.
3. Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
4. Stir and saute till the cumin seeds also crackle and change their colour. Ensure that these two spices are cooked well. They should not be raw or get burnt.
5. Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
6. Stir and being to saute them.
7. On a low to medium flame, saute the onions till they turn translucent and are softened.
8. Add 1 green chilli (finely chopped – about ½ teaspoon), 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger.
Stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger goes away. This takes about 10 to 12 seconds.
9. Then add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes. About 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped.
10. Next add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder and a pinch of asafoetida (optional). For a more spicy taste in bread poha, you can increase the red chilli powder to ½ teaspoon.
TIP: I make this dish spicy. Feel free to increase or decrease the green chillies and chilli powder in the recipe according to your taste. Instead of red chilli powder, you can also use cayenne pepper or paprika.
11. Mix very well.
12. add salt as required.
13. Stir and saute this onion-tomato-spices mixture till the tomatoes soften and you see oil releasing from the sides.
14. The tomatoes have to be cooked well, otherwise, you will feel the rawness in them. There should also be no liquids or moisture in the mixture and it should be slightly dry. Otherwise, the bread cubes become soggy(moist or wet).
15. Add the bread cubes.
16. Mix the bread well with the rest of the mixture.
17. On low to medium heat, saute the bread cubes for 4 to 5 minutes till they become slightly crisp from the edges. This way there is some crispness in the bread cubes on the edges, along with a soft texture in the centre of the cubes.
18. Then add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Instead of adding coriander leaves at this step, you can also garnish with them, while serving.
TIP: At this point, you can consider adding roasted cashews or roasted peanuts for some added crunch and flavour. you can also add namkeen according to your taste.
19. Mix gently.
20. Serve bread poha hot or warm as a breakfast or as a quick snack. Enjoy this dish as is without any sides. While eating you can drizzle some lemon juice to brighten up the flavours.
If making for an evening snack then you can serve tea or coffee with it.
- Bread: Make this flavorful recipe with any variety of soft bread. The Indian ‘pav’ or dinner rolls is another great option. Both fresh bread or a few days old breads works well in this dish. A better health option would be to make this recipe with whole wheat bread, multigrain bread or ragi bread (finger millet bread).
- Spicing: Reduce or increase the quantity of spices according to your taste buds. When making this dish for small kids skip the green chillies and red chilli powder. Instead of red chilli powder, you can use cayenne pepper or paprika.
- Scaling: This recipe can be easily halved or doubled or tripled.
- Nuts: I recommend adding some roasted cashews or roasted peanuts as a garnish or mixed with the bread upma to add some crunch. This also makes the recipe slightly healthier and more filling.
If you made this recipe, please be sure to Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations. For instagram mention use @bhukkad36
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
Also check our Recipes for: